Thursday, January 10, 2008,1/10/2008 12:41:00 PM

Well I was wondering whether the word ‘monkey’ is possibly racist!

OXFORD says racism: n. 1. belief in the superiority of a particular race; prejudice based on this 2. antagonism towards other races.

(yea..i really opened that big fat dictionary!)

Never mind the meaning, coz I call people gadha(donkey), ullo da patha(son of an owl) ullo ki dum (tail of an owl) all the time!

I know I need to get better at this!

So the point is am I racist, few of my friends call me Bandar(monkey) too, thanks to my antics…so are they racist??????

Something or rather some word (reference) may be racist in one place, but need not be in other!

But on digging further I realized, we all have been racist at some point or the other.

Lets take an example of Sikhs, we crack sardar based jokes right on their face!

(luckily for us they take it with a smile)

The other day I heard some politicians abhorring the presence of UPites and Biharis, isn’t that racist?? Sometimes I have heard people criticizing Gujju food and all..is that being racist!!

Well well the question remains unanswered! , sorry even oxford cant do it for us!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Nits
Permalink ¤