Tuesday, April 22, 2008,4/22/2008 11:44:00 AM
a FAIRyy tale....
Yesterday mom was busy watching some saas-bahu serial, and I was lying lazily on the couch pretending to read a newspaper but the truth is I was watching it too, of course from a corner of my eye!..:-P
Yeah, the truth is you can hate it but certainly not ignore it! Anyway I saw this advert, which I guess will probably rule the T.V spectrum! The advert was a Fair & Lovely ad…
This guy is of dark complexion to begin with and no girl smiles or rather to simply put it….gives him ‘bhaav’, then he uses this fairness cream and everything changes as if sun has risen from west!
All beautiful girls start approaching him, one even gives him a red rose which he gladly ‘declines’, and for a change even his hair looks good!
In the beginning I used to believe such products would not remain for long in the market but then I read in the newspaper that it’s a rs. 800 crore market now!
It surprises me to no end that people actually believe that such creams/solutions could actually make men of dark complexion fair…..all such creams do is preserve the melanin content of skin…
Anyway without going into details, it’s amazing how rightly this Ad has hit the psyche of Indian consumers. This apart I myself belonging to the fairer breed or as one of my friends puts it (firangi..lolzz!!) have experienced this first-hand. Blame it(my complexion) on my kashmiri roots, but what I felt was that such adverts only accentuate the inferiority complex experienced by millions of us, just to give a fillip to their business. I am not against the usage of such creams at all, but the way in which they are sold!!!

‘WE ARE WHAT WE ARE!’

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Nits
Permalink ¤